Wednesday, December 4, 2013

For History's Sake!

Good morning, Sunshine!

Recently, I read the awesome book Stupid Ancient History by Leland Gregory.  Let me just start off by saying this:

GO BUY THIS BOOK RIGHT NOW!



I am a history lover, especially when it comes to ancient history. My minor in college was in history.  It's kind of my secret passion that isn't actually a secret. My own writing is heavily influenced by ancient history, and I enjoy writing historical fantasy.

In this book, Gregory packs it full of random, fun facts about the past. Each page has something new on it, so it doesn't run too long on any subject.

The page numbers are written in Roman Numerals. So, naturally, I lost count after about page 10.  Using a conversion website, I found out that CCLLII (the last page in the book) is page number 252.  Needless to say, this book is an extremely fast read.

My favorite part was the translated graffiti from the city of Pompeii. That's right...translated graffiti! Very interesting. I don't want to spoil any of the fun, so go buy the book. It retails for $9.99 at Barnes & Noble. You may be able to find it for less online. No promises. Seriously though, it's definitely worth it. Ten bucks isn't too much to ask for the knowledge you will gain from this book.

If you don't like history, this book will make you like it. I dare you to read it without smiling, laughing, or showing any kind of awestruck emotion.

Until next time, I bid you farewell!  Thanks for reading!!

-The Sexy Librarian

No comments:

Post a Comment